Skip to main content

Rediscovering myself

A few blog posts ago I alluded to struggles I'd been facing for a few years now. I said that I would address these issues here soon but honestly, I didn't know when would be a good time. So I thought that today is as good a day as any.

Last year I was diagnosed with trauma. It had been years in the making, a result of an emotionally abusive relationship and years of challenging events with seemingly no respite in sight. Although I had eventually gotten out of the relationship, I had unconsciously allowed this person's opinions of me become so ingrained in me that I had lost all knowledge of my former self. I lacked self-confidence. I blamed myself for many things that had happened in my life. I was perpetually sad and struggled to find even the smallest things to smile about. I had no motivation to do even those things that I loved. I would take photos and see my smiling face but deep down I knew that was just a front. I was broken, a shell of my former self.

Now I'm not writing this looking for pity. I simply want to encourage anyone who is in a similar boat.

After months of therapy, I finally reached a place where I had made peace with my past (for the most part) and learned new skills with which to handle the struggles of daily life. I had been taught how to look after myself, to make myself a priority and learn to say no to situations and persons who no longer served me. 

I then embarked on a journey of self-discovery, rediscovery rather. I didn't want to go back to being who I was before the trauma. Instead I wanted to embrace this new me, the one who had gone through all that I had and came out of that dark tunnel, strong and with a newfound purpose.

While I am aware that many people go through far much worse than I have, I don't belittle my experiences. They're mine and I continue to learn from them everyday. I've become more aware of  things that trigger my anxiety and instead of allowing these to make me withdraw into myself and give up, I am using them to understand why they're triggering me and make better life decisions. They make me push myself to handle the turmoil of emotions and thoughts that sometimes overwhelm me and use these lessons to help others too.

If you're struggling with any form of mental health issue, don't be afraid to take a step back and heal. It's a tough process but one that will have positive results. Make yourself a priority. Take a break from pouring into other's cup and pour into your own for a change.

Thank you for stopping by.







Follow my blog with BloglovinFacebookInstagramYouTube and sign up to Email Notifications here.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWLY STYLED YELLOW MAXI DRESS

Hi all!! Maxi dresses are a huge favourite of mine. I recently got a new one and I just had to try and style it differently.  It's as simple as tying a knot and pinning it in place. I used a safety pin which I had to struggle to hide from public view. One of the things I love about blogging is that I get so many ideas from all the wonderful bloggers out there. For instance, I learnt this from   Megan and Sabrina , two very stylish and inspirational bloggers. Outfit Details: Maxi dress: gift. Similar in Ngara, I prefer cotton to synthetics which cling to you Denim jacket: gift Wedges: Moi Avenue Handbag: gift Loop earrings: India I got this maxi dress as a gift from my aunt and although I wasn't too sure about whether or not I liked it, after wearing it for a few minutes I was in love. Where do you get your style inspiration? Happy Tuesday!!! xo Audrey You can also find me on: Facebook     Twitter     Pinterest    

What I Wore On My Birthday

 30. I had been looking forward to this birthday for months and just as the day drew nearer, I got a bit anxious. I thought, I'm turning 30, is my life all figured out? What about all those mistakes I made in my 20s, how will they influence my 30s? What will this new decade have in store for me? In spite of the uncertainty that comes with starting something new, I was certain of one thing. I had grown up. I have become more confident. I know what I like and what I don't like, and, I'm not afraid of saying it.  It feels great to see how much progress I have made over the last 10 years. When I turned 20 I was so uncertain of so many things. But now, even when I might not be so sure about what the future holds, I know that I'll be okay. I will get through it. Dress: Thrifted; Necklace: Dubois; Boots: Thrifted Thank you for stopping by.

What I Wore: Zipper Front Pencil Skirt + Animal Print Vest

 I was once told that wearing black and brown was a fashion faux pas. Whoever came up with that rule had clearly not seen how good animal prints, specifically leopard prints, look. I have always wanted to add a few animal print pieces in my closet. Over the last couple of months, I have managed to get two animal print tops. This vest is one of them. I am hoping to get a pair of animal print flats then I think momma will be set. I like to pair statement pieces or prints with black so that they can stand out and that was no different here. I wore my treasured leopard print vest with a black pencil skirt with an exposed zip. I love exposed zips! They add so much detail to clothes, making simple pieces unique. For accessories, I opted for gold loop earrings, a gold ring, a black beaded necklace and tan Mary-Janes. Outfit Details: Top: Thrifted (Gikomba Market); Skirt: Botique i2s ; Shoes: Bus Station, Nairobi; Earrings: Dubois Street, Nairobi; Necklace and Ring: gift