Skip to main content

Fashion trends I'm loving in 2021


I fell in love with fashion as a child and this blog became my outlet. I love experimenting with clothes, trends, fabrics and over the years, I have settled in my preferred style preferences and these play a big role in my outfit and purchasing choices. This, however, doesn't mean that I am averse to fashion trends. I look to them for ideas on how to update my wardrobe and style my pieces anew. While I don't buy heavily into trendy pieces, I will consider and purchase pieces that I know I love and can wear for a few years, even after the trend has passed.
That being said, with 2020/2021 bringing change in how we consume fashion - we spent a year cooped up indoors and hence had no need for fancy clothes and shoes - I must say that there are some trends that I have fallen in love with and can hardly wait to get my hands on.
Let's get into it.

(Photo: Pinterest/Style Pantry)

1. Wide-leg trousers
I love slim fit trousers and skinny jeans. I love how versatile they are and I honestly believe they look great on anyone. 
Wide-leg trousers on the other hand, bring a whole new silhouette to your closet. They are extremely comfortable, can be worn at home or to the office and come in a variety of styles, fabrics and colours. 
Style tips:
For a flattering look, opt for those that are high-waisted, and whose length hits you at the most flattering point. When it comes to styling, you can pair wide-leg trousers with a fitted t-shirt tucked in and a belt around your waist. Alternatively, pair them with a loose-fitting shirt for a more relaxed look. Adding a belt over the shirt will cinch in the waist and create a more flattering silhouette.

(Photo: Pinterest/Jen Jean-Pierre)

2. Flared jeans
You can be sure that jeans had to feature on this list. Over the years, I've had my fair share of flared jeans and I just can't seem to fall out of love with this trend. My most recent pair of light-wash flared jeans don't fit as well as they used to so I promised myself that I would buy at least two new ones, of different washes of course! 
Style tips:
Like wide-leg trousers, I prefer high-waisted flared jeans. Since they fit over the hips and then flare out at the knee, you can play around when styling them. Opt for crop tops, tucked in shirts and t-shirts, blazers and cardigans, etc.

(Photo: Instagram)

3. Chunky boots
I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures so that I can bust out my boots, tee hee. And, I want to add a few more pairs to my collection this year. One such style will definitely be chunky boots. I have high-heeled chunky boots but I can't wear these as often as I would like. So I am on the hunt for flat chunky boots.
Style tips: 
From how I have seen these boots styled online, they can be worn with just about anything. I know I will pair them with my skinny jeans and over stockings worn with dresses once the temperatures cool down.

(Photo: Pinterest/Ashley Parke)

4. Puff sleeves
This is a 2020 trend that is still going strong this year. I love the old-school vibe of a blouse with puff sleeves. They have a romantic edge to them. 
Style tips:
Puff sleeves add a feminine flare to any outfit. Since these blouses are a statement on their own, keep the rest of the outfit simple. A nice pair of black fitted trousers or straight-leg jeans would pair well with puff sleeves. If you're feeling more adventurous, pair them with the flared jeans or opt for a dress with puff sleeves.
(Photo: Pinterest/Klozetstyle)

5. Wide belt
After I became a mum, I stopped wearing big belts. I didn't like how they sat across my mummy-tummy so I steered away from them. But over the past year, I realised that some dresses look better when paired with a wide belt so I have acquired to to start with. 
If, like me, you're hesitant about wearing a big belt across your waist, try on different size belts to determine which one suits you best. 
(Photo: Pinterest/Aritzia)


6. T-shirt with shoulder pads
Okay, let's get a little retro. I'm not a huge fan of shoulder pads but I will admit that I have seen and admired t-shirts with shoulder pads during the rounds.
Style tips:
Get a t-shirt that fits well over the rest of your torso so that the shoulder pads stand out. Pair it with trousers or skirts of your choice, dressed up or down for an updated take on your favourite jeans and a t-shirt outfit.

Which trends are you excited for this year?

Thank you for stopping by.











Sign up to Email Notifications 
Follow me on: 

Popular posts from this blog

Style Challenge Day 4: Change Out Your Handbag

 For day four, I had to change out my handbag. Now I change out my bag almost every time I leave the house. I like to match my bag to my outfit and what I am doing that day. But there are those bags which don't get out to play as much as other bags, so for this challenge I opted for a bag that I hadn't carried in a while, my backpack. Having picked out my bag already, I had to put my outfit together around the bag. I opted for a black wrap dress ( last worn here ) paired with a denim jacket and some metallic grey flats. I chose a brass and red necklace. I thought the red of the necklace picked out the patches of red on the bag quite well. In terms of make-up, I wanted something neutral so I picked a brown lipstick. It was a nice change from my usual red lippies. What do you think of this outfit? Do share in the comments below.   Outfit Details: Dress: my online shop Denim jacket: Thrifted (Gikomba) Shoes: Bus Station, Nairobi Bag: Gift (but bought from Mr

ABOUT

Hi, I'm Audrey. Welcome to Inches To Style☺ How it started I fell in love with fashion at an early age. In fact, I wanted to be a model and when I realised that I wouldn’t make the cut because of my height, I decided that I would become a fashion designer. I’d been making clothes for my dolls for years so I knew that was a career path I would love to pursue.  I didn’t study fashion nor did I become a fashion designer but my love for clothes and putting outfits together stuck with me.  On September 12, 2011 I wrote my first blog post, after I discovered the world of fashion blogs and got hooked. I thought to myself, “I can do this! I like writing and I like fashion, so why not?” And so Inches To Style was born. What to expect from the blog At first, I wanted this blog to be a source of inspiration for anyone looking to up their style game. As time progressed and my personal style and lifestyle has evolved, I found the name of my blog quite fitting as I’m moving inches (closer) to st

GOOD GROOMING: Nails 101

Continuing with last month's theme, I've decided to do a feature this month on good grooming. This will be posted every Thursday throughout the month of October. I believe good grooming is an essential part of being elegant and stylish. You can't possibly wear good clothes and not be well groomed and expect to be admired. This is the second post in the Good Grooming series. Last week I posted about the importance of taking care of your hair . Nails form an integral part of a person's outfit. A man and woman should have well-groomed nails. They speak volumes on the kind of person you are. I have formed a habit of looking at people's nails when they are sitting next to me in the bus. When I see a man or woman who is impeccably dressed and their nails are well manicured, I can't help but admire them and give them marks for being so well turned out. Many people don't realize it but your nails do get noticed especially when writing or typing. I don'