Skip to main content

HOW TO: Look Feminine with Short Hair

 Is it possible to look feminine with short hair? When I decided to go natural last year, I had to come to terms with the fact that I would have to wear my hair short for a while as I waited for it to grow back. My biggest worry was that I would end up looking like a boy. In an effort to embrace my femininity and give my short hair the extra kick that it required, I made sure to take the necessary steps to look feminine in short hair. Below are 5 ways to ensure you look more feminine when you get the big chop.
1. Lipstick!
It was during these early months of having an afro that I fully embraced the coloured lip. I had been thinking about it for long and when I went short, I finally put a stop to the what ifs and got myself my first red lipstick.
Photo Credit
2. Don't skimp on the make up.
Even if lipstick isn't your thing, you can opt for well trimmed eyebrows (remember to fill them in before you leave the house), a little lip gloss or coloured gloss if you want some colour as well as some eyeshadow.This is the best time to try out the wing-tip eyeliner since your hair will not be on your face.
 3. Have lots of feminine pieces in your wardrobe.
Skirts, dresses, well-fitted trousers and blazers, cute blouses, heels, sandals, etc are just some of the things that I ensured were in my wardrobe. I made sure to always look my best especially when I was struggling to find out how to style my afro.
4. Always look polished and well put together.
For your short hair cut to look more intentional and chic, keep your outfits as polished as possible. Plan them out well such that they compliment your new look.
5. Accessories galore.
I love earrings and I used this time to get extra big ones, ones that would draw as much attention as possible. When your hair is short, your head tends to look smaller so you can get away with having huge earrings. Other accessories that I found useful were headbands and scarves which I tied on my head and made bows. Other useful accessories are statement necklaces.

How else do you look feminine while sporting a short haircut? Do share in the comments below, on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

Happy Tuesday and thank you for stopping by!

xo

Audrey

Popular posts from this blog

MISS ELLY...Celebrates Her 6 Month Birthday

Guess what? My little angel turns 6 months today!!! We're having a mini birthday party for her. And because many, many of you have asked for pics of my baby girl, today's post is all about her. Elly was born in March, on the night of the 11th and these 6 months couldn't have gone by faster. It's amazing to see her grow up right before our eyes. From one week to the next, we notice such a change in the things she can manage to do.When I consider those first few days with her and what life currently is like with Elly around, there is a huge difference. Even just her sleeping has improved! 6 months is a big deal for me and I can't wait to see her become more and more herself. Milestones Apart from those that I mentioned in last month's Midweek Reflections , these are some of the milestones Elly has achieved. She now knows what she likes and will show you very clearly that she isn't interested in something if she dislikes it.  She reco

Miss Elly...1st Outfit Post

Once Elly became old enough to wear a variety of clothes that did not include rompers, I got so excited to finally be able to style this little girl. In fact, two weeks ago I went shopping for her and I had to stop myself from buying everything I lay my eyes on. She hasn't mastered walking yet although she likes to show off that she can stand without support (she expects you to cheer her on) so I still have to factor in crawling when I am shopping for and dressing her. This dress and tights is a typical Sunday outfit. Elly's grandma is so kind as to send me loads of clothes for baby girl and the packages usually contain tights and dresses and this dress was one such gift. I paired it with some stockings and a long-sleeved top to combat the cold. A sweater did make an appearance but baby girl, being her fussy little self, had it removed. She is photographed here playing with her uncle. She can hardly stand still long enough to be photographed so this was a luc

Decor: Throw Rugs

 I like looking for ways to make home decor more interesting, and out of the box, and throw rugs are just that, an extra that you can use to further express your personal style. Throw rugs or blankets add patterns, colour and of course a feeling of warmth particularly now that Nairobi is very cold so you can use the throw rugs to keep warm during the day without needing to get into your bed. And the beauty about throw rugs is that they aren't too complicated to find. You can make do with a big, warm shawl or maasai blankets and if you want to feel luxurious, you can add a faux fur throw to your bed or couch. How to use throw rugs Use them to protect your seats, especially if  you have light coloured seats and children Place a colourful throw on the backs of your seat to add colour to neutral furniture or an upholstered headboard Drape a throw across the end of your bed making the bedroom look more personal For a warm, cozy, relaxed feel, drape a throw rug on your couch. D