Skip to main content

HOW TO: Buy The Right Shoe

Hi everyone!! Can you believe how fast the days are going? Two more days to the end of the month! Time is moving too fast!
I must confess that I have been a culprit of wearing ill-fitting shoes and suffering horrendous consequences later on, corns, blisters, strained ankle muscles. You name it. At one time or the other I suffered from one of them. And after spending so much time walking the streets of Nairobi and either admiring people's shoes or staring in horror, I had to do a post on how to buy the right shoes.

1.TRY! TRY! TRY!
It doesn't cost a penny to try on shoes. Put on a pair of socks or have them handy to protect your feet from other people's germs. This is the easiest thing to do to ensure that you buy the right fitting shoe.


New shoes will pinch you because they have not yet adapted to the unique shape of your foot. And if it pinches too much, chances are you may never break into them and they will continue to pinch you no matter how long you wear them.


2. BUY SHOES IN THE AFTERNOON
Your feet expand with increase in temperature. That's why they fit better in the afternoon than in the morning. Buying your shoes during the warmer part of the day ensures that they fit perfectly and you don't need for fear having to walk in a comical manner because you are in pain.



3. SHOES' VERSATILITY
Like any other item that you buy, avoid impulse buying. There's nothing as bad as realizing, when it's too late that you have more than one pair of the same or similar shoe. Buy shoes that you are absolutely certain you will wear with things you already own. Like your other clothes, the shoes you buy should be in line with your style.



4. SHOES' WEIGHT
I can tell you from experience that buying shoes with a heel that doesn't give you the adequate support is not the best thing. Once I bought shoes whose heel was too heavy and I ended up straining the tendon on my ankle and I couldn't walk for a number of days. I never want to experience such excruciating pain again.


Buy shoes whose weight you know your legs can handle. Too heavy or too light will cause you pain and discomfort afterward. Even ballet flats can cause you to stain your muscles if they are too light. It's happened to me!

5. UTILIZE STRAPS
Wearing strapless shoes or slip-ons can be cumbersome if you spend your day walking up and down. You end up curling your toes in an effort to grip your shoes every time you lift your foot. This leads to hammer toes and you put excessive pressure on your leg and foot muscles. An easy way to stop this is to buy shoes with straps at the ankles.

 There are many stylish flat and heeled shoes that you can incorporate into your wardrobe. Or look for cute details like the bows below that will make your shoes stand out in the crowd.



6. ALTERNATIVE FOR STILETTOS
Who doesn't love stiletto heels??? They bring out a woman's femininity and you always look classy (well maybe except those that people associate with a certain type of woman). But honestly how many of us can walk well in stilettos? I've seen women walking the streets in impossibly high shoes, clinging to their boyfriends arm for support. Why lie? At one time or the other I've clinged on to someone for support.

  

Then came the wedge to rescue these tottering damsels. If you must wear heels, why not pick up some stylish wedges. They are more comfortable and are easier to walk in.

Images via Pinterest

You need to take care of your feet. And getting the right shoe is an essential part of that. What criteria do you follow when buying shoes??

Happy Wednesday!!!

xo

Audrey

You can also find me on:
 Twitter  

Popular posts from this blog

What I Wore On My Birthday

 30. I had been looking forward to this birthday for months and just as the day drew nearer, I got a bit anxious. I thought, I'm turning 30, is my life all figured out? What about all those mistakes I made in my 20s, how will they influence my 30s? What will this new decade have in store for me? In spite of the uncertainty that comes with starting something new, I was certain of one thing. I had grown up. I have become more confident. I know what I like and what I don't like, and, I'm not afraid of saying it.  It feels great to see how much progress I have made over the last 10 years. When I turned 20 I was so uncertain of so many things. But now, even when I might not be so sure about what the future holds, I know that I'll be okay. I will get through it. Dress: Thrifted; Necklace: Dubois; Boots: Thrifted Thank you for stopping by.

NEWLY STYLED YELLOW MAXI DRESS

Hi all!! Maxi dresses are a huge favourite of mine. I recently got a new one and I just had to try and style it differently.  It's as simple as tying a knot and pinning it in place. I used a safety pin which I had to struggle to hide from public view. One of the things I love about blogging is that I get so many ideas from all the wonderful bloggers out there. For instance, I learnt this from   Megan and Sabrina , two very stylish and inspirational bloggers. Outfit Details: Maxi dress: gift. Similar in Ngara, I prefer cotton to synthetics which cling to you Denim jacket: gift Wedges: Moi Avenue Handbag: gift Loop earrings: India I got this maxi dress as a gift from my aunt and although I wasn't too sure about whether or not I liked it, after wearing it for a few minutes I was in love. Where do you get your style inspiration? Happy Tuesday!!! xo Audrey You can also find me on: Facebook     Twitter     Pinterest    

What I Wore: Zipper Front Pencil Skirt + Animal Print Vest

 I was once told that wearing black and brown was a fashion faux pas. Whoever came up with that rule had clearly not seen how good animal prints, specifically leopard prints, look. I have always wanted to add a few animal print pieces in my closet. Over the last couple of months, I have managed to get two animal print tops. This vest is one of them. I am hoping to get a pair of animal print flats then I think momma will be set. I like to pair statement pieces or prints with black so that they can stand out and that was no different here. I wore my treasured leopard print vest with a black pencil skirt with an exposed zip. I love exposed zips! They add so much detail to clothes, making simple pieces unique. For accessories, I opted for gold loop earrings, a gold ring, a black beaded necklace and tan Mary-Janes. Outfit Details: Top: Thrifted (Gikomba Market); Skirt: Botique i2s ; Shoes: Bus Station, Nairobi; Earrings: Dubois Street, Nairobi; Necklace and Ring: gift