Skip to main content

Investing in myself | It's my birthday

Another year older!

September is one of my favourite months of the year. Not only is the month when I started my blog but it also happens to be my birthday month. 

For years I've let this day just go by, smiling whenever people wished me a happy birthday even when deep inside I wasn't too happy. But I wanted to make this birthday different. I was determined to spend it in the best way I possibly could; taking care of myself. I made sure to dress up, even with nowhere to go and did my nails (something I'd been postponing for weeks!). I also decided to do something that I enjoy but hardly make time for i.e. take photos and update the blog!

I've wracked my brain trying to think of what to gift myself this year and I couldn't make up my mind. This year being what it is has made me rethink many things. I don't really need to add anything to my wardrobe, my jewellery collection is sufficient although I can't help but admire beautiful accessories online, but do I really need them? No. So I thought of something different: to do those things that I've wanted to do for years but never really got round to doing and also to invest in myself. We spend so much time giving and giving and giving that we often forget to give back to ourselves. So this year, I'm allowing myself to be selfish, to invest as much energy and resources in myself as I do to other people. 

All in all, I'm excited to be a year older and wiser and can't wait for what the next 12 months has in store for me.

On to today's outfit. This is an OLD dress. I've had it for about three years and worn it about four times before mostly styled with a light cropped coat. Like many of my dresses, it comes out when the weather is as nice as it has been the last couple of days. 

For an easy day spent at home, I kept it simple in terms of styling. I wore some statement earrings and added the heels for the photos (which were taken by baby girl☺, by the way). I'd like to find a different way to style this dress, let's see what I can come up with. I'm determined to take full advantage of the sunshine to get as much wear out of my dresses as I can.



Outfit details:

Dress: Old (Thrifted)

Shoes: Hand-me-ups from my sister

Earrings: Kilimall

Thank you for stopping by.

Follow my blog with BloglovinFacebookInstagram and sign up to Email Notifications here.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWLY STYLED YELLOW MAXI DRESS

Hi all!! Maxi dresses are a huge favourite of mine. I recently got a new one and I just had to try and style it differently.  It's as simple as tying a knot and pinning it in place. I used a safety pin which I had to struggle to hide from public view. One of the things I love about blogging is that I get so many ideas from all the wonderful bloggers out there. For instance, I learnt this from   Megan and Sabrina , two very stylish and inspirational bloggers. Outfit Details: Maxi dress: gift. Similar in Ngara, I prefer cotton to synthetics which cling to you Denim jacket: gift Wedges: Moi Avenue Handbag: gift Loop earrings: India I got this maxi dress as a gift from my aunt and although I wasn't too sure about whether or not I liked it, after wearing it for a few minutes I was in love. Where do you get your style inspiration? Happy Tuesday!!! xo Audrey You can also find me on: Facebook     Twitter     Pinterest    

What I Wore On My Birthday

 30. I had been looking forward to this birthday for months and just as the day drew nearer, I got a bit anxious. I thought, I'm turning 30, is my life all figured out? What about all those mistakes I made in my 20s, how will they influence my 30s? What will this new decade have in store for me? In spite of the uncertainty that comes with starting something new, I was certain of one thing. I had grown up. I have become more confident. I know what I like and what I don't like, and, I'm not afraid of saying it.  It feels great to see how much progress I have made over the last 10 years. When I turned 20 I was so uncertain of so many things. But now, even when I might not be so sure about what the future holds, I know that I'll be okay. I will get through it. Dress: Thrifted; Necklace: Dubois; Boots: Thrifted Thank you for stopping by.

What I Wore: Zipper Front Pencil Skirt + Animal Print Vest

 I was once told that wearing black and brown was a fashion faux pas. Whoever came up with that rule had clearly not seen how good animal prints, specifically leopard prints, look. I have always wanted to add a few animal print pieces in my closet. Over the last couple of months, I have managed to get two animal print tops. This vest is one of them. I am hoping to get a pair of animal print flats then I think momma will be set. I like to pair statement pieces or prints with black so that they can stand out and that was no different here. I wore my treasured leopard print vest with a black pencil skirt with an exposed zip. I love exposed zips! They add so much detail to clothes, making simple pieces unique. For accessories, I opted for gold loop earrings, a gold ring, a black beaded necklace and tan Mary-Janes. Outfit Details: Top: Thrifted (Gikomba Market); Skirt: Botique i2s ; Shoes: Bus Station, Nairobi; Earrings: Dubois Street, Nairobi; Necklace and Ring: gift